Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Supastition talking about his new album....


Lately I've been hard at work on this new Kam Moye project. I finally came up with a title for the album and it will be entitled 'Splitting Image'. The title is a play on the word 'spitting image' because I'm still visually the spitting image of Supastition but I'm splitting away from the typical songs and subject matter that I've been known for. I've gotten emails from people saying they didn't understand why I changed my name. Those people are guilty of skimming through my words instead of actually reading them. I NEVER said that I was officially changing my name, just going to record a project under my real name. If Zev Love X can be MF Doom, Viktor Vaughn, and King Geedorah... If Kool Keith can be Dr Octagon and Dr Doom... Can I put out a record out as... myself? lol. Just think of it as an alias... that's not really an alias. I've heard rumors that I don't have rights to use my name anymore and all types of craziness. Don't believe any of that!

Moving on... I'm pleased with alot of the music that I have recorded up to this point for the record. I don't want to give out too much info on it because song titles, producers, and all of that can change. I'm not making 'Splitting Image' to exclusively appeal to the same fans who listen to Supastition albums but I'm sure there will be a few who will love it and those who will dislike it! There's alot of conceptual songs on it and I'm speaking on things that aren't really the norm for a hip hop record (well at least the ones that I've done in the past). I'm addressing topics like interracial dating (being from a small town.. u know how that goes), depression & suicide, racial stereotypes, becoming a teenage parent and the mistakes you make (I was a father at the age of 16), and many other things. Minus one song (which still has content), there isn't much random rapping going on. After meeting people from all walks of life, I felt like I needed to create music that could reach those same people who don't feel like there is music that speaks directly to 'them'. I don't expect everyone to be able to relate to the album but if one song speaks on your personal experiences and you can relate then I feel like I did what I had to do. I would hate to even label it conscious because this is my personal life but I'm sure some will deem it as being that way since all music has to be categorized nowadays. It's not really an 'underground' album so to speak. If you have hundreds of preconceived ideas of what hip hop or betteryet 'my' music should sound like then you might wanna skip this one! No silly labels of it being 'grown man', 'conscious', 'the best shit since Illmatic', or none of that... No anger, no venting, and no rapping about how bad the state of hip hop is. It's my personal thoughts, opinions, and experiences with music behind it.

Okay I can see people reading this right now saying "man... fuck all the content...who did the beats????".... haha. Let me speak on the producer and guest situation so we can get this out of the way. Once again, this is NOT an official Supastition album so please don't expect to see the same producers and guests this time or you are setting yourself up for disappointment. I reached out to alot of new producers this time around including a few that I have worked with in the past. Some producers are extremely busy, some don't make beats that would fit the vibe, and some I just don't work with anymore. I know we are in the age of 20+ guest appearances and 10 producers on each album but I want the main focus to be on the substance & content rather than the guests. There will be some bigger names on the record but only because they fit the concept of the song and not because they just 'spit a hot 16'. When I started my label (Reform School), my main focus was to not do the norm or follow the 'standards' of the industry. Not so much to be different but to do what I truly wanted to do without someone else tampering with the ideas. Sure it may cost me some popularity (the 'wee bit' I have... lol) and fans but at the end of the day I will be able to say that I'm pleased with everything that I've done. That's one reason why I have the utmost respect for artists such as The Roots and Outkast because each time they aim to step outside of the box and encourage individuality in music (in my opinion). So will people like 'Splitting Image' and accept it for what it is? Who knows... but when it's all said and done I can say that I spoke on things that meant the most to me and hopefully to someone who has been through what I've experienced. Overall I think so far it's an outstanding album. And after this album... the Supastition & Illmind album will be officially in the works.

http://artofrhyme.com/blogs/Artist_Blogs.php?artist_id=23

No comments: